Form A

What is a Form A?

A Form A is a form that you need to fill out if you are applying to the court for a financial order after your marriage or civil partnership has broken down. This form tells the court what kind of financial order you are asking for and why you are asking for it.

What is a Financial Order?

When you get divorced or end a civil partnership, it is a good idea to make a legal agreement about how you will divide your money and property. This is called a financial order.

If you and your ex-partner can agree on the terms of the financial order, you can do it without going to court and instead attending mediation. But if you cannot agree, you can ask the court to make a financial order for you.

The financial order can include things like:

  • Sharing your pensions
  • Giving one person a lump sum of money
  • Transferring property to one person
  • Ordering one person to pay the other person regular payments (maintenance)
  • Providing for children

Do I need to go to mediation to receive my Form A?

Mediation is a voluntary process however the court want you to find out about mediation first before you can make an application . To submit your Form A to the courts, it must be signed by a mediator first to confirm you have attended a MIAM (mediation information and assessment meeting).  A MIAM is an initial meeting between you and the mediator, in which the mediator will gather facts and understand the issues. You may still go to mediation over any financial issues if you’re ex-partner agrees.

If you need to arrange for a MIAM, you can contact us on 01429 891444 or email us at